It is essential when working in the security industry that you undergo specified training programmes that result in the recognised qualifications you will need for all aspects of security. Individuals applying for a SIA static guard licence must prove that they are properly qualified to do their job with the particular set of skills needed for the vastly expanding security industry. This results in a professional and capable workforce, equipped with the correct abilities for every aspect of security.
In order to obtain an SIA Security Guard licence you will need to show that you are trained to the right level. This applies to front line staff only.
To get one of the qualifications linked to Security Guard licensing you will need to attend and take three training modules and pass three exams. The duration of the training should be 28 hours. The course may be delivered over four days or during weekends and/or evening sessions.
Common Security Industry Knowledge
• Session 1: Awareness of the Law in the Private Security Industry
• Session 2: Health and Safety for the Private Security Operative
• Session 3: Fire Safety Awareness
• Session 4: Emergency Procedures
• Session 5: The Private Security Industry
• Session 6: Communication Skills and Customer Care
Security Guarding Specialist Module
• Session 1: Introduction to the Roles and Responsibilities of Security Officers
• Session 2: Patrolling
• Session 3: Access and Egress Control
• Session 4: Searching
• Session 5: Technology and Systems in the Security Environment
• Session 6: The Security Officer and The Law
• Session 7: Communicating, Reporting and Record Keeping
Conflict Management Module
• Session 1: Avoiding Conflict and Reducing Personal Risk
• Session 2: Defusing Conflict
• Session 3: Resolving and Learning from Conflict
• Session 4: Application of Communication Skills and Conflict Management for Security Guarding and Close Protection